Alright, now you want to set up Google Analytics for your website. I can make it as simple as possible. You need not be a web geek to do it. Simply follow the instructions below.
1. Go to Google.com and Search for Google Analytics or simply type in http://www.google.com/analytics/ on your browser
2. Click on Access Analytics (If you are already a Google Analytics user) or Click on Sign up
3.Type in the Account Name (A name which you can use to identify your Website) and URL. Select the Country and time zone and read the User Agreement and Click I Agree. You need to enter the correct timezone to make sure that the data is right across your profiles.
4. Now you will be taken to Tracking code page where you can select whether you are tracking a single domain, domain and its subdomain or multiple domains. The tracking code will change based on what you select here. For a normal website, you can use the standard tracking code.
5. Now carefully copy the Tracking code. It will look something like this -
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = (‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https://ssl’ : ‘http://www’) + ‘.google-analytics.com/ga.js’;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
6. You need to add this code to before the closing of <head> tag on all of the pages which you want to track. If your website is an HTML website, you can use any HTML editor, for example Dream Weaver to Edit the Source code of the pages and add the code to the <head> section of the page.
Say if you are using WordPress, I recommend using Google Analyticator. You can simply add the Google Analytics Account Number and it automatically insert the code to all the pages.
7. After adding the code, click on save and give it 24 hours. You will see your website statistics showing up.
Do you find this easy? You can now watch for the next lesson.